Greek Coins Forum

Παρακαλούμε συνδεθείτε ή εγγραφείτε.

Σύνδεση με όνομα, κωδικό και διάρκεια σύνδεσης
Σύνθετη αναζήτηση  

Νέα:

SMF - Just Installed!

Αποστολέας Θέμα: Medal commemorating the Battle of Karpenisi and the Death of Markos Botsaris  (Αναγνώστηκε 2404 φορές)

pachase

• Αποσυνδεδεμένος Αποσυνδεδεμένος
Medal commemorating the Battle of Karpenisi and the Death of Markos Botsaris
« στις: Σεπτέμβριος 11, 2020, 02:00:15 μμ »

Greetings to my Fellow Collectors,
I have always been fond of the 1823 medal commemorating the Battle of Karpenisi and the Death of Markos Botsaris. This interest in the medal has led me to begin to write a short article about the medal which I will share once it is complete. I intend to include in the article the auction appearances of the medal and other known medals. I am asking if you have this medal in your collection and if you are willing to share a photo of the medal and anything known about its provenance. Responses can be posted here in the Forum or sent to me by private message. Your name will not be used in the article unless you grant me permission to do so.
Can anyone explain the symbol, that looks like an 8 with an open top, which is written after ΚΑΡΠΕΝΗΣΙ on the reverse of the medal?
The date on the medal is August 9, 1823. However, in every English reference I see, the date of the Battle of Karpenisi is given as August 21. 1823. Does anyone know which date is correct?
Thank you for your help.
Peter Chase
peterchase80@gmail.com
Καταγράφηκε

georok

• Αποσυνδεδεμένος Αποσυνδεδεμένος
Απ: Medal commemorating the Battle of Karpenisi and the Death of Markos Botsaris
« Απάντηση #1 στις: Σεπτέμβριος 14, 2020, 08:04:32 πμ »

The symbol you are asking about means the battle OF Karpenisi
Καταγράφηκε
Όσο μελετάς τελικά καταλαβαινεις ότι δεν ξερεις και τόσα πολλά